Monday, October 17, 2011

Dessert Skewers

On Friday night, I had plans with friends for a girl's night in with wine and appetizers. I had a busy day and not much time to throw a sweet treat together as my contribution, so these dessert skewers were the perfect solution to my time-crunched dilemma.

I had seen an idea similar to this on Pinterest using strawberries and pound cake, but my local store had angel food cake and raspberries on sale on Friday. This idea is incredibly versatile- you can sub in a different cake type, fruit type, or chocolate type. Tropical theme?...pineapple, mango and pound cake with piƱa colada drizzle.  Struck by a major chocolate-moment?...chocolate cake, strawberries and chocolate ganache drizzle. You can customize this method to your own preferences.

As mentioned previously, I purchased the angel food cake for this dessert, so no recipe today, but if you have the time and want to make your own, here is a link to Martha's.

Pictures and Tips:
A picture of my set up. Store bought angel food cake, raspberries and skewers. You can find skewers in various lengths and thicknesses.

Use a bread knife to cut the angle food cake into small cubes.

Assemble the skewers. I chose to alternate cake/raspberry for visual contrast.

I melted a small amount of dark chocolate and butter in a double boiler. This can be done while you are assembling your skewers, but keep an eye on it so your chocolate doesn't burn.

Drizzle the skewers with chocolate. Don't worry about perfection...this is abstract art :)

And just like that, dessert is made. These skewers are quick and easy to make, and are just the right blend of classy and fun for a party. Plate them up and enjoy :)


Enjoy this inspiration for your next party,

-The Delicious Dabbler


ps. Never forget the importance of "the chef's snack."

1 comment: