Friday, July 8, 2011

Cabin Weekend



Hi dabblers. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. I wanted to follow up and show you some of the delicious cabin meals I got to partake in last weekend. Hopefully this will provide you with some inspiration for the rest of the summer.


The first evening at the cabin, we grilled out over the fire....what a fun way to cook. I love the adventure of cooking outside, the fun, communal vibe, and the fabulous flavor the fire imparts in the food.


Cheese was added to the burgers and then they were tented with aluminum foil to help the cheese melt.


Everyone got to make their own burgers with a variety of toppings....I opted for caramelized onions, guacamole and crumbled blue corn tortilla chips. Yum. The burgers were served with salad and fire potatoes. If you haven't had fire potatoes, I highly recommend them. Thinly sliced potatoes (baby red potatoes pictured above) cooked with butter, onions, garlic and herbs....you wrap all the ingredients in aluminum foil and cook them over the fire. These are also great done over the grill.


After dinner dessert? S'mores, naturally. Everyone has their own s'more style...I like  crispy brown edges all around.


This pictures makes me want to be back around the fire right now. While I'm roasting my marshmallow, I put the chocolate-and-graham-cracker base on a rock next to the fire so the chocolate starts to melt. Delicious.


Of course my uncle had to raise me one marshmallow.


The next evening, my aunt created this fabulous ingredient display for a make-your-own-pizza night. My aunt is a wonderful cook, and the way she presents food always makes me so excited to eat it. This was such a fun dinner, and a great idea for a casual, fun dinner party.


It was fun to watch everyone assemble their pizzas...to see how they put them together and what ingredients they chose. Pictured above is my uncle's creation before it went into the oven.


And after it came out of the oven...it is hard to go wrong with bubbly cheese.


To top our wonderful weekend of eating off, my cousin made this cake to celebrate the 4th of July. It was a rich chocolate cake, and so wonderfully decorated. She told me she checked out my 4th of July post for inspiration. I thought that was awesome...hearing that people have tried my recipes or gotten inspiration from past posts puts a huge smile on my face :) This cake is gluten free and I am planning to ask my cousin to share the recipe in a future post.


Here's to another beautiful summer weekend! Thanks for visiting and happy dabbling.

-The Delicious Dabbler

ps: a bonus photo of a beaver dam from one of our weekend hikes

1 comment:

  1. I love all these wonderful photos from our fun weekend!! especially the double decker marshmellow s'more!

    ReplyDelete