Sunday, May 20, 2012

Compound Chive Butter

Hi Dabblers. After a long hiatus due to grad school and work consuming my free hours, I am happy to be back and sharing with you all. Over the weekend, I was out working at our family garden. This is my first year being really involved in the planting and I have been enjoying it immensely. Chives and rhubarb were ready for harvesting, so I brought home some of both. Next trip I will take more photos, but for now- here is a photo of the lovely picnic prepared by my aunt as a mid-day break:

She makes every meal into a beautiful experience.


Back to the butter...compound butters are super easy to make and great to have on hand. I brought about a 1/4 of a stick of unsalted butter to room temperature and broke it up with a fork. I then added approximately 1 tbsp of finely chopped chives.

I then seasoned the butter with salt and pepper and used the fork to mix all the ingredients until combined.

You could also add garlic or red pepper, depending on what application you were going to use the compound butter for.

This butter was destined for sourdough popovers. That recipe is coming next...and within the week (I promise). I also used the butter to finish off a simple spinach, pasta, and goat cheese dish tonight and it was delicious.

The chives doubled as decorations as well. My aunt gave me this sweet little mason jar as I have been collecting jars to use as candle holders for my upcoming wedding. Chive flowers are edible and make great garnishes for salads or any other food displays.

Happy summer food dabbling :)

Thanks for visiting,

-The Delicious Dabbler

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Ms. Dabbler!!! What glorious photos and it's great to see the yummy food again.

    ReplyDelete